Many attorneys are familiar with the feeling of being overwhelmed by their workload. They may feel like they’re constantly running from one meeting to the next, and they never seem to have enough time to get everything done. In countless Monday morning meetings, attorneys recount their marathon work sessions over the weekend, expecting a sympathetic response. Surprisingly, the reaction is often silence. No one is showering them with accolades or medals for their efforts. Instead, this approach can come off as passive-aggressive and disempowering for the team.
Turn the Narrative: Empower Your Team
It’s time for a shift in perspective. Rather than complaining about the long hours and missed meals, consider the following strategies to empower both yourself and your team:
- Own Your Choices: If working at an intense pace aligns with your goals, own it with pride. But refrain from complaining or over-sharing; it only breeds resentment.
- Name Your Feelings: If you’re resenting the pace, acknowledge it. Hiding behind passive-aggressive comments won’t lead to positive change.
- Proactive Support: Imagine a team member proactively offering help when you’re feeling overwhelmed. Encourage this kind of open communication and support.
- Review Your Priorities: Take a moment to reflect on your activities. Identify what excites you, what drains you, and what you wish you had more time for.
- Identify Resentment: Recognize moments where you feel resentful or drained by your tasks. This is an opportunity for change.
The Energy You Bring: Your Responsibility
Remember, you control the energy you bring into every room. If you find yourself constantly overwhelmed, it’s time to reevaluate your approach. Money is energy too, so investing in personal growth and coaching should be a positive, not a point of resentment.
Empowering Your Team: A Collaborative Approach
Invite your team to perform the same introspective exercise. Encourage them to assess their tasks, pinpointing what fuels their passion and where they feel drained. This exercise can lead to invaluable insights for process improvement and productivity.
The power to change is in your hands. Give us your team in the Law Firm Admin Bootcamp + Academy and let them transform the way you and your team approach work. Remember, it’s not about medals or accolades; it’s about creating a workplace where everyone thrives.