Kyla Denanyoh is the Founder and host of the “You Are a Lawyer” podcast. Kyla has a passion for writing and fortune cookies, and used both of those passions to create a podcast where she talks with other lawyers about their jobs and careers. Kyla joins host Molly McGrath to talk about podcasts and how to make your personality shine through in each talk.
Quote of the Show:
13:20 “There’s a number of things I’ve since realized that my law school education is not devalued. My brain is certainly not devalued because I haven’t passed [the bar exam]. I have a daughter, she’s one and a half and I would love to tell her I’ve never quit, look, mommy did it.”
- You have to be consistent and persistent when it comes to podcasting. There is a lot of work going into making a podcast successful and you want to make sure you are prepared to handle it.
- It’s important for people to connect with the “why” they do their job. If you aren’t sure why you are doing what you do, then you aren’t passionate and that affects your work.
- Your education and experience is not devalued if you don’t pass the bar. It is a very complicated exam and you should still hold your head up for taking it.
- Storytelling is a powerful tool and there are so many people out there with great stories that they can share, so it’s important to bring those powerful stories to life.
- Most podcasters stop their podcast after 7 episodes as they lose the passion and the drive for it, so plan to power through 7 and go above and beyond.
- You want to make sure that you are learning something new everyday, and you can do that by talking with people on a podcast.
- Reading unleashes a creative side of the brain that allows us to really explore unique options.